Is Calligraphy a Business? Is there money in calligraphy? Can you become successful in the calligraphy business? Let’s find out all of these answers in this article. and let’s also see 9 Amazing Tips for successful calligraphy business.
Is calligraphy a business? Calligraphy is an amazing and best business to do if you love doing calligraphy. You can make a good amount of money while doing something you actually love. You can make thousands of dollars in Calligraphy per month. You can either sell Calligraphy products or artworks and make good money.
Read more to know how much money is exactly there in calligraphy. And is it a good idea to make a business in Calligraphy or not? And What industry is Calligraphy? We shared detailed information about these in sub-headings below.
Is Calligraphy a Business?
Calligraphy is actually a great niche to establish business in. You can make money from various ways in Calligraphy.
It is a very open and free niche. You can sell Calligraphy related products like calligraphy pen, paper, inks, etc. Or you can sell artworks and custom handmade works. Or tie up with big companies to make their brand stand out more.
There are actually no limits, you can utilize Calligraphy in a lot of ways. And that’s the beauty of this niche.
In other businesses you have to follow a certain way. You are kind of stucked and there are not a lot of ways to make money. Either you have to make and sell a product or give certain service to customers.
But In Calligraphy you have the most liberty. You can work with B2B (sell business to business) or B2C (sell business to customers). You can do really anything you want. There is a lot of freedom to choose. Therefore it is a very flexible but powerful business niche.
Also you got a boost in brand building at starting. Because other brands have to hire designers/ Calligraphers to make their brand look attractive. But guess what, you already belong to the calligraphy niche. Therefore your brand always looks good to customers. So you will receive an advantage in brand building.
But you have to keep in mind that, Like any other business it requires business skills such as: what is the product, what is your market, what does your market requires and how much are people willing to pay for your product, how do you market your skills, what is the business plan, etc
You have to do a lot of hard work for it. There will be some ups and downs in the journey. You have to be ready for facing difficult times like any other business.
Also one thing I can tell you by my personal experience is, the calligraphy audience is not that large. Means if you want to target only Calligraphers or the person who does calligraphy then the market is not so big.
If you want to sell a gadget or expensive pen for Calligraphy. Then the target audience is very less. Therefore you can not go much further while making money.
I personally came from a business family, so I know that if you want to take it as a serious business, not as a passion or just make a living from it. Then the aim for business is really high. I am talking about millions and millions.
So the calligraphy niche itself is not that big. Yes, there are a lot of big brands in Calligraphy. But in order to target a larger audience you either have to spread a little bit, or try to cover other segments also like fountain pens, drawing, printing inks. Or the best thing you can do is try to target an outer audience.
For example, you can become a company who helps other big brands for brand building with the help of calligraphy. In that way you just not earn a big amount of money, but you also get freedom to target brands in any other niche.
So your all over target audience will get bigger. And this is the best advice you can ever get. But besides that I am not saying the calligraphy audience is not bigger. It is! So don’t worry you have enough opportunities in the calligraphy niche. But it is safer to have an open market.
Lot of big brands in calligraphy also have their product for fountain pen niche, drawing, paper niche. So it is a lesson we can learn from them. If you want to do some serious business, never have a limited market. The less restriction there is, the more flexibility you can get in business.
That’s the advanced tips I can give you from a business family.
Things to keep in mind in calligraphy business-
- Like any other business you have to do a lot of hard work in the calligraphy business.
- It requires business skills such as: what is the product, what is your market, what does your market want and how much are people willing to pay for your product, how do you market your skills, what is the business plan.
- Try to keep your target customer as large as possible.
- Calligraphy is a very flexible niche for business, therefore choose wisely what your business is going to be about.
- Calligraphy is a very flexible and powerful niche.
- You can make good enough money in the calligraphy business.
- Calligraphy is a handmade niche, therefore it is very valuable. And you can charge according to it.
- You have a lot of flexibility in calligraphy, so you can work with B2B (selling business to business) or B2C (selling business to customer) however you want.
- There are a lot of opportunities in the calligraphy niche.
- Any business is successful if you connect to the right customers and market yourself well. Also passion is a key. Calligraphy is all about passion for this art.
- Calligraphy as a business can be successful but it also has a lot of challenges.
Following are some great tips for starting a calligraphy business and things you definitely have to keep in mind.
9 Tips For Successful Calligraphy Business
1. Start an Etsy Shop
Etsy is a popular platform for selling all types of art pieces and art related work. It is a very popular and effective platform for artists to sell their original and quality work. It generally receive sells easily, which means the conversion rate here is high. And it’s only for original artists.
You can set prices according to you and sell your products easily. Starting an Etsy shop is a simple, but essential step in getting your calligraphy business off the ground.
Eventually, you may want to invest in making your own website, but at the beginning, you can’t beat the price and convenience of using Etsy.
Etsy is approachable even for the non-tech-geek, and you can easily start a new shop by clicking here.
If you don’t want to invest money in the beginning it is the best alternative for it. But there are a few things you have to keep in mind for this. The first and main is the setting price.
It’s so important that we have to make a separate sub heading below for it. So we are talking about it below. Let’s see other things to keep in mind for etsy.
Things to keep in mind for using etsy-
- Do Proper SEO- Using Etsy the best tip is do proper SEO. I can not cover it all in this article otherwise the main topic will remain aside. But i will highly suggest you check on the internet about basic SEO. like using keywords in title, description, using good quality images. This will increase your conversation and you will show on top of search every time. Therefore pay strict attention to SEO. I experienced the difference on my own, it helps a lot.
- Make Your Work Attractive- Make your work attractive to the human eye. Give them a catchy name. You can also tell the audience the meaning behind the artwork, it also helps a lot. And make your product listing attractive overall.
- Click Good Images for Etsy- Don’t compromise in the image. Because after all it’s the only thing which gives your audience a physical and practical view of the product. Therefore use a good quality image as possible and use a good camera for it.
- Give a Good Description of Product- And lastly, give a good and attractive description of the product. It seems that it does not affect a lot, but it actually does. Therefore use good keywords and repetition of keywords in the description. It will also help with SEO.
Also etsy has few advantages than setting up our own website for selling products. Let’s all of them quickly, What extra advantages we get by using Etsy.
Advantages of Etsy Compare to our setting up our own website-
- Already Established Traffic- Etsy provides you with their already established traffic. And traffic there is only interested in specific topics, therefore there is no extra pluff. Gaining high quality traffic is a very hard thing to do, and especially in the beginning. If you have no one on your site who will buy your product, Therefore it is very important to have high quality traffic on your website and Etsy has it for you.
- Directly Connection With Targeted Customers- While gaining traffic there are two types of audience you will get. One is highly interested in your topic and the other one is not at all interested in your topic. E.g. If you are selling calligraphy products and the viewer does not have any interest in it then he will never buy your product. So gaining the right type of audience is really important. And Etsy gives you a buyer intended audience. Therefore it is a very important advantage to you.
- Good SEO and Exposure– If your website is new and doesn’t constantly generate new content, people will never be able to find you through search engines (google). You are much, much more likely to connect with potential clients if you have an Etsy shop! Rather your own website.
- A Trusted Payment Processor– If you have a website, it can be tough to figure out a payment processor that people trust. And sometimes it can be very hard to find a trusted payment processor. Potential clients will always be comfortable doing payments through Etsy.
- Etsy’s User-Friendly Interface– If you’re not a web developer, it can be difficult to make your website look attractive or exactly how you want it to. Etsy is very “plug and play”. It tells you exactly what to put where — like, “upload your photos here”, “write your item description here”, etc.
- There is a Mobile App for Etsy- There is a mobile app for etsy and it makes your whole experience very easy and convenient. And it is very convenient to handle your shop with a mobile app.
2. Identify Your Market
Identifying your customer market is very important for doing any kind of business. You should analyze your targeted customer market and work accordingly.
It will help you to be successful early. Also it will give you more clear direction to move forward with your business.
I personally came from a business family. I saw in front of my eyes and also helped my family to establish 3 businesses. And I can clearly tell you if you figure out your direction in the beginning, it will help you a lot later on.
If you figure out whether you want to do big deals with B2B or make a lot of small deals with B2C then it will give your business a good direction.
So identifying your market and customers will help you a lot. Therefore you should figure out these questions at the very start such as: What is the product, what is your market, what does your market require and how much are people willing to pay for your product, how do you market your skills, what is the business plan, etc.
It will help you in establishing your calligraphy business.
3. Set Your Prices Wisely.
While setting your prices you need to identify your competitors. Set the price of your work the same or slightly below than your competitors.
If you set prices too low then people will no doubt consider that your work is inferior. And if you set your prices too high as a newcomer to the area you won’t attract much sales.
Therefore you should set your prices very wisely. And the best advice is rather than getting this business related information from any artist you should learn this kind of thing from business people or business related courses.
4. Create an Outreach Plan for Your Business
How will people know what service you offer? Make sure your plan doesn’t cost too much in either time or money or you’ll be out of business before you start.
So the next step is to create a perfect outreach plan for your business. And be clear about what service you are going to offer to your customers and for how much money.
And make all the necessary planning in this step and be clear about it.
6. Make a Amazing Portfolio
Make an amazing portfolio. If you are selling a calligraphy service then you should showcase your work to the audience. And tell them which quality work you are providing to them. Therefore making an amazing portfolio will help you in it.
But if you want to sell calligraphy products then you should make a good portfolio of your company. It will help to stand out your brand.
7. Be Communicative With Customer And Build Good Relationships
At the step when you release your brand, the main key is to be communicative with your Customer. And build good relationships with your brand.
In this way you build a good relation with your customer and it gives your brand an advantage. And it will build your brand reputation.
Once you start the project, make it a point to keep the client in the loop. For example, if you’re creating calligraphy art for the client, send them a pencil draft for approval. If you’re doing envelope calligraphy, send them a photo of the first envelope so they can confirm that they like the calligraphy style/color.
It makes them feel good and connected to you. And it’s priceless for every brand.
8. Carefully Package Your Products.
Lastly, whether you are sending a product or artwork, send them very carefully. And be careful that your product will not get damaged during shipping.
It is also very precious for you, so therefore you should send them carefully. Even if you sell your artworks on Etsy, the vast majority of your orders won’t be local.
And it’s your responsibility to ship them properly and satisfy your customers. Otherwise it will not make any sense to do business.
9. Get Customer feedback.
Lastly, in the last step you should get feedback from your customer. If the feedback is good then you can use it for marketing. And also you have relief from inside that you’re doing good in business.
If the feedback is bad then you could get an idea about what you are doing wrong. And you can correct these mistakes. It will improve your other customer’s experience.
And in the end it will affect your business in a good way. So either the customer feedback is, it will benefit your business. These are the 9 great tips from me for doing calligraphy business. And to remind you I belong to both sides, I have a business family background and also I have been a calligrapher for 6 years now.
What Industry is Calligraphy?
Calligraphy belongs to the calligraphy service industry. And according to US calligraphy belongs to the Consumer Goods and Services industry. You can get the full list here.
There are so many types of industries, calligraphy belongs to the Consumer Goods and Services industry. You can see a list of all industries from the above link. It made a list of all industries and what comes under which.
Is There Money in Calligraphy?
There is a lot of money in calligraphy. An average calligrapher in the United States makes about $64,490 USD per year. Also a calligrapher on average earns $30 to $40 per hour. It’s $5000 per month.
And it’s a good amount of money in the US. If you really want to go in-depth in numbers here is one of our best articles. It has all the exclusive information about calligraphy earning and how much money we can make in calligraphy- Calligraphy as a Profession? And Career in Calligraphy- InkSmooth
It’s our best article which covers exclusive and important information about how much money in calligraphy. We calculated every number in it. How much we can make in a job, in a business, in a year, all the general information with practical proof.
How Much Money Can You Make as a Calligrapher?
You can make up to US $60,000 to $75,000 per year as a calligrapher. Calligrapher can earn $40 per hour. And the monthly salary of a calligrapher is US $5,000 per month. And averagely a calligraphy earns about $64,490 USD per year in the United States.
And I will say the same about this one also. Read our this article – Calligraphy as a Profession? And Career in Calligraphy- InkSmooth. In this article we mentioned every possible calculation about money in calligraphy with real people’s experience. I personally did all the calculations and math.
I gathered all the numbers from people who work as a calligrapher for 20-30 years and calculated their income. Also again compared it will numbers on the internet for proof.
All the data is authentic and is personally collected from asking people on our own. Therefore it is a very important article for knowing how much money is in calligraphy. And how you can earn it (method, and opportunity). And for now the above data will be enough, and it clearly tells us that calligraphy is a good profit making business and profession.